Applications are now open for our Improvement Coach courses.
The Improvement Coach program aims to increase your knowledge of quality improvement and equip you with specialised skills necessary for coaching improvement teams from idea generation into action.
You will learn how to:
- use improvement science and the Model for Improvement as a roadmap for improvement projects
- coach improvement teams on how to develop, test, and implement changes, use data for improvement (including how to use run charts), and other key quality improvement tools.
During the program, you will have the opportunity to put your learning into practice on a project from your own workplace.
Who should attend?
The Improvement Coach program is ideal for people who are responsible for supporting and coaching improvement teams and are familiar with improvement science theory, methods and tools.
The program will help you:
- apply improvement science and use the Model for Improvement as a framework for change, with additional focus on the human side of change
- describe the use of data for improvement
- collect and analyse data through this lens, in service of understanding variation
- use key quality improvement tools and build confidence in coaching others to use them
- use the coaching skills to help teams develop aims, measures and changes and test those changes through Plan-Do-Study-Act (PDSA) cycles
- apply skills in team facilitation, communication, decision making and coaching to advance the team’s work
- practise the skills and behaviours needed to coach teams, as well as leaders and managers in healthcare and other industries
- distinguish between concepts of implementation, sustainability and scale-up.
Safer Care Victoria will cover the cost.
What is the time commitment?
Each course is run over a three-month period:
- Workshop 1: 6 x half day sessions, online*
- Action period: 3 x 1.5hr calls
- Workshop 2: 6 x half day sessions, online
*Please note: we are currently teaching online, but the schedule will be adjusted for face-to-face sessions when possible
How to apply
When you apply, you’ll be asked to outline a project from your workplace that you will work on during the course. Read our guidance on how to select a project.
You will also need an executive sponsor to support your application.
- February to May 2023
- April to August 2023
This program is delivered in partnership with Institute for Healthcare Improvement.