Safer Care Victoria is seeking expressions of interest for the Chairperson of the Victorian Perioperative Consultative Council (VPCC) for a three-year term, 2022–25.
In 2018, in response to the Targeting Zero report commissioned by the Minister for Health, Safer Care Victoria commenced a review of two existing consultative councils: the Victorian Surgical Consultative Council and the Victorian Consultative Council on Anaesthetic Mortality. The review recommended the establishment of the VPCC to replace the two councils, which would combine and improve upon their functions and provide critical oversight of the safety and quality of perioperative care in Victoria. VPCC was established in 2019.
The successful Chairperson will be instrumental in leading the processes, scope and functions of this Council to enable it to provide efficient and effective oversight of perioperative care, identify gaps and recommend system improvements to the sector, and provide timely, accurate and strategic advice to key stakeholders, including the Minister for Health.
Suitable nominees will have:
- recent senior clinical and academic expertise in perioperative care
- relevant experience in health service management/operations, or
- expertise in system wide measures and standards of safety and quality in health care, and an appreciation of the broader policy context and issues surrounding the delivery and planning of safety and quality initiatives in Victorian health services
- demonstrated strategic thinking, planning and leadership skills
- experience or interest in working with the Department of Health to develop state wide advice and recommendations, or
- experience or qualifications in the medico-legal area as they relate to the provision or management of perioperative care.
At the completion of the application process, Safer Care Victoria will recommend to the Minister for Health a shortlist of individuals that is broadly representative of the sector. The Minister for Health will make the final decision on the position of Chairperson.
Expressions of interest closed on 28 August 2022.