The independent Consultative Council on Obstetric and Paediatric Mortality and Morbidity (CCOPMM) reviews cases of maternal, perinatal and paediatric mortality and morbidity.
Reporting to CCOPMM
Health services must report:
- all perinatal, infant, child or adolescent deaths
- all maternal deaths and serious harm including severe acute maternal morbidity (SAMM).
Analysing all maternal deaths, stillbirths and child deaths
It collects health and personal information so that it can conduct studies, research and analysis into the incidence and causes of maternal deaths, stillbirths and the deaths of children under 18 in Victoria.
Monitoring perinatal health trends
The council manages the Victorian Perinatal Data Collection, a population-based surveillance system that collects and analyses information on the health of mothers and babies.
Helping health services and practitioners improve
The council makes recommendations to help health services and medical practitioners improve clinical practice and systems of care, using its annual report to detail the council’s research and activities.
It also directly advises the Minister for Health and Safer Care Victoria on strategies to improve clinical performance and avoid preventable deaths.
- Victoria's mothers, babies and children reports and presentations
- Congenital anomalies reports
- 10 years of good practice points for clinicians caring for children and adolescents